(AhlulBayt News Agency) - More than thirty bodies of Daesh (ISIS) members were recovered from Euphrates River, west of Anbar, a security source from the province was quoted saying on late Thursday.
Speaking to Almaalomah website, the source said, “security troops, along with residents of Qaim town, managed to recover more than thirty bodies of the so-called Islamic State members, who were executed and thrown in Euphrates River, following conflicts in Hegeen region in Syria, located 40 kilometers away from Qaim.”
Troops and the residents, according to the source, “recovered the bodies fearing pollution of the river after bad odours came out of the bodies.”
The bodies “were shot in the heads and chests,” he added.
On Wednesday, Qutri al-Obeidi, a leader with the mobilization forces in Anbar, said Hegeen saw the biggest mass executions among Daesh after the leaders killed around 90 members and threw their bodies in Euphrates river, as they were reluctant about the defense battles against Syrian army, which carries out operations to liberate regions near the borders.
Iraqi warplanes launched, last month, a new wave of air raids against outposts of the Daesh terrorist group in Syria.
In April, Abadi denied intentions to intervene within Syrian affairs, saying airstrikes against Daesh will continue.
Iraq had previously announced launching airstrikes against IS locations in Syria. This came after Abadi said security troops will follow IS militants in the whole region, not only in Iraq.
/129
18 June 2018 - 09:36
News ID: 898009
More than thirty bodies of Daesh (ISIS) members were recovered from Euphrates River, west of Anbar, a security source from the province was quoted saying on late Thursday.